12 Sep Welcome back to school!
Welcome back to school for the new academic year! I am writing to tell you about new events and resources for your students.
Bookings are well underway for “God Matters!” our Philosophy of Religion conference, which will be held in cities across England in November 2013. Students whose places are confirmed by the 18th October will receive a FREE copy of Peter and Charlotte Vardy’s new book God Matters (SCM Press, October 2013 rrp £9.99) as well as our pack of lecture notes and activities and the exclusive DVD for schools, which this year includes a full interview with Professor Brian Leftow of the University of Oxford discussing the arguments for God’s existence. If you would like to bring a group to this conference, please contact me as soon as possible so that we can make sure that you get the places you want and secure your free books.
“God Matters” will take place on the following dates:
- Thursday 14th Manchester Central Methodist Hall, Oldham Street, M1 1JQ
- Friday 15th York, Saint Peter’s School, YO30 6AB
- Monday 18th – London, Bloomsbury Baptist Church, Shaftesbury Ave, WC2H 8EP
- Tuesday 19th – Birmingham, Birmingham Christian Centre, B1 3QQ
- Wednesday 20th – Oxford, Town Hall, Saint Aldate’s, OX1 1BX
- Friday 22nd – London, Bloomsbury Baptist Church, Shaftesbury Ave, WC2H 8EP *NEW*
- Monday 25th – Cambridge, Guildhall, Market Square, CB2 3QJ
- Tuesday 26th – Canterbury, Canterbury College, New Dover Road, CT1 3AJ
- Thursday 28th Exeter, Corn Exchange, 1 George Street, EX1 1BU
Bookings have also commenced for “Ethics Matters!” our Ethics conference, which will be held in cities across England in February 2014. Commemorating the centenary of the outbreak of WWI in Europe, the conference will explore human rights, the sanctity of life, the rise of relativism and just war theory in the context of natural law and virtue ethics. The DVD includes a great and topical interview with Professor Gary Sheffield, who is well-known from his work on television and radio, exploring the practical application of ethics in war, as well as Volume One of our brand new DVD teaching resources on Ethics.
“Ethics Matters” will take place on the following dates:
- Monday 3rd – Manchester Central Methodist Hall, Oldham Street, M1 1JQ
- Tuesday 4th – The Birmingham Christian Centre, B1 3QQ
- Wednesday 5th – Oxford Town Hall, Saint Aldate’s, OX1 1BX
- Thursday 6th – London, Bloomsbury Baptist Church, Shaftesbury Ave, WC2H 8EP
- Friday 7th Cambridge Guildhall, Market Square, CB2 3QJ
- Monday 10th – Exeter Corn Exchange, 1 George Street, EX1 1BU
- Friday 14th Darlington, Carmel College, The Headlands, DL3 8RW
Once again this year, schools with confirmed places at one of these conferences may book to attend one of our INSET conferences for FREE (subject to the availability of space). Contemporary Issues in Focus: Medical Ethics will run in Manchester in December as well as in London in January this year. It will provide delegates with FREE teaching resources relating to topics such as Abortion, Euthanasia and Genetic Engineering which will enhance GCSE and A Level courses no end. Remember, the free places are first-come-first-served and are reserved for those whose places at one of the student events are confirmed (i.e. paid for) – so if you plan to attend “Ethics Matters!” you will need to do all your planning and paperwork this term if you are to get the INSET, which tends to book up quite quickly.
If you are teaching applied ethics this term, it is worth knowing that Charlotte Vardy’s “Life and Death Coursebook”, the latest in the series being developed by Philosophical Investigations, was published this summer and is now available to order from Amazon for £7.99. This covers all the topics in Medical Ethics in more depth than standard textbooks and includes reference to the very latest cases and technologies, as well as explorations of how scholars are responding to the issues right now.
Our range of Bespoke Conferences has been expanded for 2013-14 and now includes the interactive “Philosophy of Religion Study Day” for a maximum of 40 students and new whole year-group events on Global Perspectives and Money Matters (designed to get all students excited about issues RS covers – excitement that tends to spill over into the parent body, staffroom and even the SMT). There is also the opportunity to have Bespoke INSET in your school, from as little as £300.
Don’t forget that “Arguing for God” our all-new 5 DVD set of teaching resources on the arguments for God’s existence is available to order from us at £99.
This will give you 100+ slides of editable PowerPoint and a 10-12 page fully copyable student notes booklet, complete with classroom activities, as well as 40 minutes of new teaching video on each argument.
We do hope to see you at one of our events and, in the meantime, do let Katie, our administrator, know if there is anything she can do to help.