Explore A Level Philosophy
with Dr Peter Vardy, Dr Stephen Law and Dr Claire Carlisle
Thursday 24th November 2016, Central London
This intensive event provides students of AQA A Level Philosophy with a unique opportunity to experience university-style teaching, designed to extend and enrich their understanding of key topics, including lectures given by two of the most exciting lecturers in the country, as well as to take part in a debate with their peers from other schools and colleges.
Sessions will include…
- Truth and Reality
- What is a Human Being?
- The Concept of God
- Can we say what we mean or mean what we say?
- Debate: “This house believes that killing in virtual reality and killing in reality are morally equivalent!”
Candle’s events offer a rich learning experience. Sessions are pacy, full of current examples, images and film-clips, discussion and debate; our events are designed to extend and enthuse, building broader subject knowledge and deeper understanding, rather than just rehash the classroom experience or cram for the exam. Nevertheless, content is always relevant to AQA Philosophy, as well as some options in IB Philosophy and Pre-U Philosophy & Theology.
A full colour printed 32pg set of high-quality notes (complete with suggested classroom activities relating to each topic and tips for developing strong essay-skills) will be provided to each student, so they have no need to copy down reams of things on the day. Additional resources will be provided to each participating school electronically.
- Tickets to Explore A Level Philosophy cost just £20 each, when booked online (a £2.50 booking fee applies per transaction, not per ticket). Manual bookings (by e-mail, telephone or post) are accepted but tickets booked manually cost £22.50 each to cover the additional cost of administration that this incurs.
- We offer FREE teacher tickets (including lunch and refreshments) within reason and accompanying 3 or more students.
- Participating schools qualify for FREE places at selected Candle INSET events during 2015-16, subject to terms and conditions.
- Teachers attending student events alone for CPD purposes will be charged £80.
- Like theatre or cinema tickets, bookings are usually non-refundable unless the event is cancelled by us. Bookings can be made here, either online using a credit or debit card or manually, by requesting an invoice.
- Doors open for registration at 9.20am (9.50am in London) for a prompt 10am start (10.30am in London). Events close by 3.15pm (3.30pm in London)
- Students should bring a packed lunch, snacks and a water-bottle but we provide a complimentary teachers’ lounge at each venue, serving refreshments at break and lunchtime and providing a book-stall with discounted resources.